Sunday, May 15, 2016

Cellular structure of the brain and the importance of making neural connections



I am going on a much needed vacation with a good friend and the bonus of an online course is that I can carry on learning no matter where I am.  I thought that while I was on the plane I could get a jump start on my reading for week three and in this way have less work to do when I hit the beach! 
I had only just dived into chapter three reading when I immediately found something to blog about!         
I came across a blurb about the cognitive basis of active learning and what we know from Neuroscience.  There was information about cellular structure of the brain and the importance of making neural connections and of strengthening neural pathways through repetition in adult learning.  When adults learn they build on or modify networks that have been created through previous learning and experience. The more pathways the easier it is to make a connection and assimilate information, so really the more we learn, the more we are able to learn and retain information.  Hooray for learning.

I think this information grabbed my attention because MY brain found a previously encountered situation with similar information!  Last fall I taught a patient care course for x-ray technology students and I covered a module on biologic effects of radiation.  We learned that cells that are more specialized in structure and function, such as brain cells, are more resistant to radiation because they are not actively dividing.  This contrasts with cells that are more primitive in structure and function, such as germ cells which are actively dividing, that are involved with the reproduction of an organism.  In a nutshell, brain cells are less sensitive to radiation than germs cells, hence when a technologist takes your x-ray you will see a lead apron on your lap and not on your head!

I have much more to share from chapter three but will get this blog started so that you all can view it and I will carry on tomorrow.  A little cartoon to finish off with J

 

No comments:

Post a Comment