Thursday, May 19, 2016

Student mini activity



Before starting on my latest entry I wanted to attach the link that I had forgotten to attach from my previous entry.   
10 Good Habits for Students: How Top Students Learn retrieved on 18 May 2016 from https://www.examtime.com/blog/good-habits-for-students/

Prior to starting my work as an instructor at Camosun College, I was given the opportunity to take the Instructional Skills Workshop offered for one week on site at the Lansdown campus.  It was illuminating.  That was in December 2014 and was the beginning of my journey along the Provincial Instructor Diploma Program path.  When I do something, I want to do it well, and I knew that this program would help me to be a great teacher.  I was just looking at Andrea’s blog and my first thought was that she had created a really amazing blog.  Lots of useful information presented in a very appealing way.  I hope that with a bit more practice and experience in blogging my own blog entries will improve and inspire others! On April 29, 2016 she presented an activity called Think-Pair-Share.  I had previously been introduced to this activity at Camosun College in the Instructional Skills Workshop and had forgotten about it.  Thanks so much for the reminder Andrea as this is a very effective way to get students brainstorming and working together to problem solve.  I especially loved the pointer at the end of the blog about reminding students that they may come across some of the questions addressed in the Think-Pair-Share activity on a test.  What a great way to create even more motivation for students to implicate themselves in the activity and take note of the best responses.
 Seeing this activity reminded me of another useful and quite straightforward activity that I have up my sleeve that was also learned in the Instructional Skills Workshop at Camosun College.  There are no instructions per se, but rather, it is a simple and effective way to have the students sum up the class lecture.  Depending on class size of course, give yourself approximately ten minutes at the end of the class to do this activity.  Tell your students that as a means to wrap up the days lecture you would like each person to share one new thing that they learned no repeats allowed.  It actually is kind of fun for a variety of reasons.  Often students will want to go first because it gets more complicated as people share to come up with an original answer, it often generates new discussion or if someone shares something that isn’t accurate it gives other students the opportunity to share the correct answer.  It also gives you as an instructor instant feedback about what information really stood out and potentially what subject matter may have to be addressed again in an upcoming class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment