Friday, May 13, 2016

Okay, so here goes, first post ever.  I was thinking about when I first started attending university and then technical school in the mid to late 90s and that most of my instructors stood in front of the class and lectured and that was the norm.  I will confess that the internet was just starting to come into vogue at this time, and so most information I needed for my papers and projects I obtained through books and journals (paper copies) in the library.  Information was less accessible than it is now and technology was used much less in the classroom.  I remember one instructor had a laser pointer to help us follow along with the notes on the overhead projector!
Quite frankly, even most courses that I have taken while finishing up my BA in the last five years consisted of someone standing in front of the class and sharing information.   Most courses that is, with the exception of a third year french conversation class where my instructor loved group sharing, accessing information from the internet, and student led impromptu presentations at the front of the class! 

So my point is that I am really excited that the "traditional" classroom is evolving.  I am thrilled that student engagement doesn't mean that my students have to figure out how to feign interest in yet another class where I stand up front and talk.  I can't wait to learn new techniques to capture the attention of the many different styles of learners that are out there.

I also would like to say that part of my enthusiasm about this evolution has to do with my daughter as well.  She is nine years old and has ADHD.  She has experienced struggles at school.  This year however she has a young and vibrant teacher who is able to capture her attention and help her to feel excited about learning and excited about her potential.  The "traditional" classroom certainly does not suit my daughter's needs.  I am thankful that there is an openness to new and different ways to enhance students eagerness and enthusiasm to learn.  I cannot wait to be part of this process.  

No comments:

Post a Comment