Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Learning how to learn, what works for you?



I really enjoyed reading through Francois’ blog from 3 May 2016.

I especially was interested in the piece about changing up how you study and how this can dramatically increase your learning.  Whether your technique might be sitting or standing, working inside or outside, in silence or with music.  It can be very effective to use a combination of several of these techniques when studying.  It reminded me of when I used to have to prepare long answer or essay questions in advance when I was being tested in French literature courses while I was completing my degree.  When I had gotten the bulk of my information out on paper I then would throw on my sweatpants and go for a jog, paper in hand, and rehearse my explanations out loud or in my head as I ran.  It actually worked quite well for me.    
 Another way to enhance learning that was touched upon in Francois’ blog was about experimenting with different study techniques and how valuable this can be.  The part that especially grabbed my attention was about how important it is to share with student’s about different techniques that they might experiment with.  What a great idea to not only cover the day’s course content in a lecture, but also to include ways for your students to learn, understand and retain information.
Thanks for sharing Francois!

No comments:

Post a Comment