Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Power of Introverts

I watched The Power of Introverts by Susan Cain and nearly cried!  I am most definitely an introvert at heart and realized that I revealed this unknowingly in my last post by saying how excited I was to sit down in "glorious quiet" for two hours and work.  I loved this Ted Talk because I thought that I was quite unique in needing solitude and quiet to be energized and creative.  I needed to be made aware that there are others like me, and especially in the teaching profession it is important to remember that a good portion of my students might very well crave this also. There does seem to be a sort of "madness" around group work in the classroom and I am thrilled to have an excuse to give students the opportunity to "look into their own suitcases" so to speak, before they jump into group discussion or projects.  I also took the time to check out Carl Honore's, In Praise of Slowness talk which I absolutely loved, and then saw that Amy Cuddy's Body Language talk was linked in to these talks as well.  I had actually watched this clip previously when creating a module on Body Language and was deeply moved.  At about mid point into the talk Amy shares how she helped to inspire a student in the same way that one of her profs inspired her.  It is very touching.  A definite must see!

No comments:

Post a Comment